Honey-cured Smoked Salmon
Purchased from the Bowers Estate in Fort Worth, Texas in 1994. Indicates this was obtained from “Cindy’s” First Grade Teacher in 1972.
- 1-quart water
- 1/2-cup salt
- 3/4-cup honey
- 1/4-cup golden rum
- 1/4-cup lemon juice
- 10 cloves
- 10 allspice Berries
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large fillet of salmon
- Combine all the ingredients besides the salmon to make the brine.
- Place the salmon skin side up in a non-reactive dish and cover with brining liquid.
- Allow fish to brine for 2 hours.
- Rinse the salmon in fresh water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place salmon on a drying rack (or grill rack that you will use to smoke the salmon on) and allow to air dry for about 1 hour.
- Smoke salmon skin side down for about 1-1/2 hours, keeping temperature at 160.