Homemade Cherry Pie Filling
- 4 cups pitted cherries
- 1½ cups cherry juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- If frozen cherries are used, heat in saucepan just until juice flows as cherries thaw.
- Drain before cherries are warm.
- If cherries are sugared, reduce sugar in recipe to taste.
- Stir sugar and cornstarch together, add small amount of juice to make a paste.
- Stir into juice; cook, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Stir in drained cherries and extract.