Herb-roasted Sweet Potato Skins
Bake the potatoes until they are just tender and still a tad firm so they don't turn to mush and fall apart. These potato skins are a great side dish to meat, tofu or salmon.
- Serves 4
- 4 medium organic sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Halve the potatoes lengthwise and prick them.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender but not mushy.
- Remove from oven and set on a rack to cool a bit.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, turn on broiler to high.
- Scoop sweet potato flesh out of skins, leaving a wall ½-inch thick.
- (reserve scooped out flesh for another use.
- ) cut each sweet potato shell lengthwise into ½-inch-wide wedges.
- Combine olive oil, herbs, sea salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add potato skins to herbed oil mixture and gently toss to combine.
- Place on a baking sheet and broil 4 – 5 inches from the top for 4 to 6 minutes, or until piping hot.
Per serving (4.5 oz / 125 g-wt.):
- 170 calories (70 from fat) | 7g total fat | 1g saturated fat | 2g protein | 24g total carbohydrate (4g dietary fiber, 10g sugar) | 0mg cholesterol | 190mg sodium
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/