Haricot Bean and Potato Cakes
Purchased from Patterson Estate in Tyler, Texas in 1992. Notation on card says this came from a Ladies Home Journal printed in 1972. Does this recipe make sense to anyone? I can’t figure it out.
- 1-½ pounds haricot beans
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound firm mashed potatoes
- 4 ounces fat boiled Bacon
- 2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Soak the beans for 24 hours then simmer for 2 hours in enough water to keep them covered.
- Mash beans thoroughly and mix with Potato, chopped Bacon, sage, pepper and Sugar.
- If the paste seems stiff, add a little bean water.
- Grease a cake tin and sprinkle the sides and bottom with the bread crumbs.
- Press mixture into tin and cover with greased paper and bake in 300 degree oven for 1 hour.