Hai Sun Bal Yu
Abalone and sea cucumber. It is very important to use fresh abalone and sea cucumber in this dish.
- 2 fresh green abalone
- 500 g fresh sea cucumber
- oil, for cooking
- 20 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup spring onions, cut in 2–3 cm lengths
- ½ cup thinly sliced carrots
- 80 ml chicken stock
- 80 ml soy sauce
- 80 ml Chinese brown vinegar
- 40 ml rice wine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Put the abalone into the refrigerator for 10–15 minutes to 'put it to sleep'.
- This will make it easier to remove from the shell.
- When chilled, lift it out of the shell with a very strong, thin, steel-bladed knife.
- Carefully cut and lever between the flesh and the shell, making sure not to pierce the flesh as it gives a bad taste.
- Remove the intestines from the flesh very carefully, too.
- Slice the sea cucumber and abalone very thinly.
- Heat wok to a high heat, then add the oil.
- Add all the cloves of garlic and stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add spring onion, and then add the sea cucumber, chicken stock, soy sauce, carrots, vinegar, rice wine and sugar.
- Stir through the abalone last.
- Cook for only a minute.
- Mix cornflour with a little cold water, then stir through the mixture.
- Add sesame oil.
- Remove from heat and serve with rice or noodles..