Habanero Apple Chutney
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Roark Estate in Grand Prairie, Texas in 1984.
The longer this sits the better.
- ¼ pint vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 head of garlic peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons white mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds soaked in hot water drained
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 ounces cider vinegar
- 2 pounds cooking apples peeled and chopped small
- 12 habaneros finely chopped
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Heat oil in pan and gently fry the garlic and ginger until it starts to color then add remaining spices and cook for another three minutes.
- Add vinegar, apples, habaneros, sugar and salt then simmer for 2 hours.
- Put into hot sterilized jars and seal at once with vinegar proof lids.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Groupp" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/catsrecipes/s