- Serves: 4
- Cooking time (approx.): 11 minutes
- 2 tablespoon(s) bengal gram flour (besan)
- 2 cup(s) yoghurt, preferably sour
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoon(s) grated ginger
- 2 green chilli(es) slit or chopped fine
- 2 teaspoon(s) sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon(s) each of mustard seeds and cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon(s) each of asafoetida and turmeric powders
- 2 tablespoon(s) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 red chilli(es) broken into pieces
- 4 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- salt to taste
- finely chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Mix the yoghurt, gram flour and water in a vessel beating well so that no lumps are formed.
- Add the grated ginger, slit / chopped green chilli(es), curry leaves, sugar and salt.
- Keep on low flame for 5 minutes or till the mixture comes to a boil.
- Keep simmering.
- For the tempering, heat the ghee (clarified butter) in a pan for 2 minute(s).
- Add the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds.
- Let them crackle.
- Add the asafoetida, the red chilli bits, turmeric powder and fry on low heat for a few seconds.
- Add the tempering to the gram flour gravy and stir occasionally whilst simmering on very low heat for 4 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves before serving.