Ground Meat Eggrolls
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Makes 12 appetizer servings.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon ground red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups finely chopped Chinese cabbage or cabbage
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced (½ cup)
- 8 ounces lean ground beef or pork
- 1 x 4-ounce can mushroom stems and pieces, drained and finely chopped
- cooking oil or shortening for deep-fat frying
- 12 egg roll wrappers or 72 wonton wrappers
- Stir together the water, sherry, soy sauce, cornstarch, red pepper, and black pepper.
- Set aside.
- Pour the 1 tablespoon oil into a large skillet (add more oil as necessary during cooking)
- Preheat over medium-high heat.
- Stir-fry garlic and ginger in hot oil for 15 seconds.
- Add regular cabbage (if using) and green onions.
- Stir-fry for 1½ to 2½ minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Remove vegetables.
- Add the ground beef or pork; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until no pink remains.
- Drain off fat.
- Push meat from the center of the skillet.
- Stir sauce.
- Add sauce to the center of the skillet.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Add cooked vegetables, mushrooms, and, if using, Chinese cabbage.
- Stir all ingredients together to coat with sauce.
- Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through.
- Remove from skillet; cool.
- In a wok or 3-quart saucepan heat 1½ to 2 inches of cooking oil or shortening to 365°F.
- Meanwhile, place the wonton wrapper with a point toward you.
- Spoon 2 teaspoons filling just below the center.
- Fold the bottom point over the filling.
- Then tuck it under the filling.
- Roll the wonton wrapper once to cover the filling, leaving about 1 inch unrolled at the top of the wrapper.
- Moisten the right hand corner of the wrapper with a little water.
- Grasp the right and left-hand corners of the wrapper.
- Bring these corners toward you, below the filling.
- Overlap the left-hand and right-hand corners.
- Press the corners together securely to seal.
- Fry egg rolls or wontons, a few at a time, in hot oil for 1 to 2½ minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Remove from oil.
- Drain on a wok rack or on paper towels.
- Keep warm in a 300°F oven while frying remaining food.
- Serve warm with sweet-and-sour dipping sauce, chili dipping sauce, or Chinese Mustard Sauce.