Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
- Serving Size: 6
- 6 medium portobello mushroom caps
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar -- wine, or herbed vinegar is also fine
- 1 clove garlic -- minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the broiler or prepare a charcoal grill, spraying the rack with non-stick pan spray.
- Clean the mushrooms well and cut off the tough bottoms of the stems.
- Combine the olive oil, vinegar, and garlic in a small bowl.
- Brush all surfaces of the mushrooms with the mixture.
- Allow to marinate at least 20 minutes.
- Put the mushrooms on the prepared broiler pan or grill, stem sides up.
- Broil or grill about 4 inches from the heat source until the mushrooms are tender, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Per serving (1 mushroom):
- Calories: 46 | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 50mg | Carbohydrate: 4g | Dietary Fiber: 1g | Sugars: 1g | Protein: 2g
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable | ½ mono-unsaturated fat