- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup white cornmeal
- 1 tbsp margarine (or butter)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp margarine (or butter)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- tomato sauce (optional)
Warm milk in saucepan, boil then reduce heat. Slowly add in cornmeal, constantly stirring. Stir for ~5 minutes, until thick, then remove from heat. Add in 1 tbsp margarine, eggs and salt until a smooth consistency is reached. Flatten this out in a greased pan 8x8x2, leave to cool, then refrigerate for ~2.5 hours. Warm oven to 425 degrees F. Cornmeal mixture should be cut into 1.5" circles. Top with 2 tbsp margarine and a sprinkling of cheese. Bake to hot, ~11 minutes. Then broil until golden brown. (optional to serve these with tomato sauce)
- Country Extra. Taste of Home. 2010. pp. 49. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Gnocchi-with-Meat-Sauce.
- Crocker, Betty (1979). Betty Crocker's Cookbook New and Revised Edition. Golden Press/New York Western Publishing Company, Inc.. pp. 205. ISBN 78-52003.