Gluten-free Chicken Cacciatore
- 2 x 15-ounce cans of diced tomatoes (for convenience use pre-seasoned tomatoes from a reliable gluten-free source and omit the addition of herbs from the ingredients list)
- 1 x 15-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fresh or dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh or dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon of fresh or dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- ½ to 1-cup of fresh, cleaned, thickly sliced mushrooms or small can of mushrooms
- 2 pounds to 2½ pounds of chicken pieces
- Add all ingredients to crock-pot at one time.
- Cook for eight hours on low heat setting.
- Spoon over cooked white rice, risotto, or your favorite gluten free pastas.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan cheese on top (if you can have dairy).
You may elect to cut boneless, skinless chicken into strips or pieces, however, it is best to add them whole as the meat will break apart during cooking. The result will most likely be smaller pieces of chicken in the sauce.