Ghostly Shepherd's Pie
Treat your little ghosts and goblins to a tummy-warming stew that looks them right in the eye! From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (½ cup)
- 2½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
- 1 (12-ounce) jar beef gravy
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup milk
- 2¼ cups Betty Crocker potato buds mashed potatoes (dry)
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray.
- Add beef and onion; cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Set 12 peas (from frozen vegetables) aside for garnish.
- Add remaining frozen vegetables, tomatoes and gravy to beef mixture.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat water, butter and garlic powder to boiling.
- Remove from heat; add milk.
- Stir in dry potatoes and cheese.
- Add egg; blend well.
- Spoon beef mixture into ungreased 8-inch square (2-quart) or oval (2½-quart) glass baking dish.
- With large spoon, make 6 mounds of potato mixture on top of beef mixture to resemble ghosts.
- Place 2 reserved peas on each mound to resemble eyes.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are set and mixture is thoroughly heated.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group