Gbeghiri, or black-eyed bean soup, a Zambian dish, though called a soup, can also be served as a stew with corn / maize porridge or rice. It is very good re-heated the next day.
- Serves 4 - 6
- 2 cups / 350 g black-eyed beans, soaked and cooked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups / 470 ml stock
- To begin, heat the oil in a pan and soften the onion in it.
- While that is cooking, partially mash the black-eyed beans using a fork or potato masher.
- Now add the tomato paste, tomatoes, stock, beans and seasoning to the onion, stirring well.
- Let the soup simmer for 30 minutes before serving.