- Bring the water to a boil, and then add all the stock ingredients, including the chicken.
- Skim the foam from the top as the soup simmers for 1 to 1½ hr.
- Remove the chicken, de-bone it and shred the meat when cool.
- Strain the stock and chill.
- This hardens the fat for easy removal.
- Remove fat from stock.
- Reheat and add the juice of two limes.
- Add all the vegetables except the beans and cook just until tender-crisp, about 20 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken and garbanzo beans.
- Heat until chicken and beans are hot throughout.