Fricassee of Chicken
From The Evening Sun, August 29, 1990
- Makes four servings of 170 calories each.
- 1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup minced leeks
- 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil
- 1 tbsp light cream or milk
- Place the chicken in a 9-inch glass pie dish and cover with vented plastic wrap.
- Microcook on high until the chicken is cooked through, about 4½ to 5 minutes, stopping to stir midway.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and drain off any liquid.
- Combine the tomatoes, garlic, leeks, stock, bay leaves, and oil in the same dish.
- Cover with vented plastic wrap and microcook on high for 2 to 2½ minutes, stirring once midway.
- Immediately stir in the basil and cream or milk and let stand for about 4 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves and serve hot in shallow bowls.
- Note: at this time the sauce (everything but the chicken and bay leaves) can be whirled for a few seconds in a blender before being poured over the chicken. This isn't necessary, but it does make a more attractive, blended sauce.