- 4 servings
- Beat slightly 3 or 4 egg yolks.
- Add sugar and tsp salt.
- Scald and stir in slowly 2 cups milk.
- Place the custard over a very slow fire.
- Stir it constantly.
- Take care that it does not boil.
- Or stir over simmering water until it begins to thicken.
- Strain and cool the custard.
- Add to it the vanilla, rum, or sherry, or a little grated lemon rind.
- Chill thoroughly.
- This is not a firm custard. It is really a custard sauce.
- Prepare the above recipe for custard sauce, flavored with lemon rind.
- Place it in a baking dish.
- Whip until stiff 3 egg whites and ⅛ tsp salt.
- Add very slowly, whipping constantly: 3 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp vanilla, or a few drops of almond extract.
- Heap the egg whites on the custard.
- Place the dish in a hot oven (500°F) for 2 minutes, or under a broiler until the tips of the meringue are brown.
- Serve the custard hot or cold.[[Category:Milk and cream Recipes
[[Category:Egg white Recipes [[Category:Egg yolk Recipes [[Category:Lemon peel Recipes