You may use a vegetable oil in place of salt pork, but the flavor will not be quite the same. Serve with thick slices of fresh tomatoes.
- 1/4 lb salt pork or bacon, diced small
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 C diced boiled potatoes
- 1-1/2 C flaked or chopped cooked fish
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a hot skillet, cook the salt pork until the fat is rendered and the bits
of pork are brown and crisp. Remove, drain on paper towels, and set aside.
- Toss together the onion, potatoes, fish, and salt and pepper to taste---take
care not to over salt: the salt pork may supply enough. Stir into the fat in the skillet and cook over medium heat. Press down with a spatula and cook over 5 minutes, until the bottom is brown. Turn the hash over and cook until the underside is nicely browned. Tip out onto a warm platter and sprinkle with the crisp bits of salt pork.
The Fannie Farmer Cookbook
Author: Marion Cunningham Typed By: Susan Godfrey
- "Catsrecipes Y-Groupp" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/catsrecipes/s