Finnish Three-meat Ragout
- 1 pound lean lamb, shoulder or leg
- 1 pound lean pork, shoulder or leg
- 1 pound lean beef round
- 2½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- ½ teaspoon whole white peppercorns
- 6 large white onions, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Cut the meat into 1-inch cubes.
- In an enameled, cast-iron pot or other deep oven proof casserole, layer the meat, salt, allspice, white peppercorns, and onion.
- Cover lightly.
- Bake for 5 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and serve over mashed potatoes or mashed potatoes and rutabagas.