Escabeche de Lerenes
- 1 lbs. lerenes
- 2 lbs. Chicken gizzards, stewed and diced
- 2 large Spanish onions
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tbsp pepper-stuffed , diced
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- Boil the lerenes in water until cooked, about 20 minutes. Peel the hard outer rind.
- Boil the Chicken gizzards in salt water, add one envelope of regular sazon, Onion powder, and garlic powder (1 spoonful of each), until Chicken is very tender, about two hours. Drain the Chicken gizzards and cut into small pieces.
- Cut onions into thin slices. Take garlic and puree in food chopper or blender, add olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste (you may add one envelope of plain sazon). Cut each lerene into two or three pieces . Add bananas, Chicken gizzards, garlic, , onions, and olive oil, mix well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes at 325¡ F. Cover and allow to marinate in your refrigerator overnight. Let stand for at least thirty minutes after removing from refrigerator.