Egyptian Spinach Omelet
- Rinse and drain spinach; squeeze out excess water.
- Place spinach in saucepan over medium heat; cover with lid and allow to wilt.
- Remove from heat and drain in colander.
- Remove all excess water.
- Heat oil in large cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet.
- Add chopped onions and cook until tender and lightly golden.
- Add tomatoes to skillet; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 12–15 minutes or until tomato is tender and liquid is reduced.
- Preheat broiler.
- Beat eggs lightly in bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add nutmeg to flavor the eggs, stirring well.
- Add tomato mixture and spinach to beaten eggs and mix well.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in cast-iron or ovenproof skillet; pour mixture in.
- Top with canned Chickpeas.
- Cook over low heat for approximately 10–12 minutes or until the bottom has set; then place under broiler to finish setting the top.
- It should be firm and lightly browned when it is done.
- Cut into slices and serve.