- In glass or porcelain container, collect blood from a freshly killed duck.
- Immediately add 1 tbsp vinegar to keep blood from coagulating.
- Place cut-up duck into pot with 3 to 4 quarts of hot water.
- Add onion, spices, celery and carrots.
- Salt to taste.
- Cook about 2 hours.
- Skim as necessary to keep broth clear.
- When meat is tender, remove from broth, place in oven to keep hot.
- Strain broth into a stainless steel or enameled pot. Do not use aluminium.
- Crumble bread, add remainder of vinegar and duck blood to the broth.
- Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden or stainless steel spoon.
- Serve hot.