Dreamy Snowdrift Torte
Serves 10-16, depending on portions; it is very rich.
- 3/4 stick real butter, softened
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3 x large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond flavoring
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Filling Layer # 1 (white chocolate Ganache)
- 1 bag 12 oz white baking morsels
- 1/3 cup cream
Filling Layer #2
- 12 oz sliced almonds
Filling Layer # 3
Filling Layer # 4 (and topping)
- Cream butter and Sugar together until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each one is added, then add vanilla and almond flavor.
- cream again for about 2 minutes. In separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Add ½ of the half and half and ½ of the flour mixture to butter/Sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add remaining half and half and flour mixture and mix well.
- Grease and lightly dust with flour 4, 8- inch cake pans, preferably stainless steel for even cooking.
- Fill each pan with about ¼ of the batter and carefully shake each pan back and forth until batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12–15 minutes, until just done.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, lightly covered to prevent drying.
Filling Layer #1
- Place morsels in microwaveable bowl and pour cream over them.
- Melt in microwave 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each 20 second interval, until smooth.
For Filling Layer #3
- Mix ingredients well, until smooth in medium bowl.
For Filling Layer #4
- Beat cream on high for 3 minutes, until soft peaks start to form in large glass bowl.
- Add Sugar and vanilla and continue to beat with mixer another 2–5 minutes, until it forms stiff peaks.
- Note: All steps can be done the day ahead, reserving final assembly to 2 hours before serving.
- Remove cooled cake layers from pans and place on wire racks, two to a rack.
- Spread each cake with white chocolate ganache, including sides (a scraper or butter knife works well on the sides).
- While ganache is still soft, cover the top only with a layer of thinly sliced almonds, pressing them slightly into the ganache.
- Place in freezer for 10–20 minutes to set the ganache.
- Remove from freezer and spread the cream cheese layer over the almonds.
- Refrigerate at least ½ an hour (can be refrigerated, covered, 24 hours).
- The final assembly can be done 2 hours before serving.
- To assemble, place a cake on a serving plate and spread a ½ inch or thicker, layer of the chilled, sweetened whipped cream over the top, creating thick Scallops at the very edge.
- Place the second cake layer on top and continue until all 4 cake layers are stacked high.
- Spoon remaining whipped cream onto the top of the torte and using a spoon, create deep valleys and peaks in the cream.
- Sprinkle with any combination of garnishes listed above.
- Large, sparkling, bake and melt-proof white sugar, white, gold or silver edible glitter.
- Chill in refrigerator at least one hour before serving.
- Serve chilled with orange-tinged or spiced hot chocolate and gourmet coffees.