Coconut Ice Cream
- For cake, preheat oven to 275 °F.
- Grease and flour a 6-inch heart shaped cake pan.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with an electric mixer), cream butter, sugars and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down sides often.
- Add egg and yolk, beating well.
- Sift together flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine sour cream and baking soda.
- Add flour and sour cream alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Scrape cake batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 275 °F, then turn up oven to 325 °F and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clear.
- For caramel glaze, bring sugar, corn syrup and water up to a boil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Boil without stirring, brushing the sides of the pan occasionally with a brush dipped in water.
- Cook for about 10 minutes, until sugar turns an amber colour.
- Remove from heat and whisk in cream, taking care as it will steam.
- Allow to cool, then chill until ready to use.
- For coconut garnish, peel off outer husk of coconut and peel shavings with a vegetable peeler.
- Spread onto a parchment-lined baking tray and bake in a 350 °F oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- To assemble, slice heart cake in half and spread with caramel (if caramel has is too firm, heat in microwave), sprinkle with a few coconut shavings and top with second cake layer.
- Pour caramel over entire cake, spreading it with a spatula so that all of the cake is covered.
- Press coconut shavings onto sides of cake and chill until ready to serve.
Coconut Ice Cream
- Beat cream cheese and sugar.
- Add coconut milk, lemon juice, extract and salt.
- Whip cream to soft peaks and fold in.
- Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Scrape ice cream from maker into a non-reactive container and chill until firm, about 4 hours.