Diet Chocolate-flavored Syrup
Contributed by Ursula Taylor
- Yield: 20 servings - 1¼ cups
- ½ cup firmly packed cocoa powder
- 1¼ cup cold water
- ¼ tsp salt
- sugar substitute equal to ½ cup sugar 
- 2½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp chocolate extract - optional 
- Mix cocoa, water and salt in a heavy saucepan until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, and simmer gently, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let cool 10 minutes.
- Add sweetener and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into a jar, cover, and store in refrigerator.
- Stir in jar before measuring to use.
Per 1 tbsp serving:
- Cho 2g | pro 1g | fat 0g | fiber 0.1g | sodium 25mg | chol 0mg
- Food exchanges: up to 2 tbsp may be considered "free". If ¼ cup is used - count as 1 vegetable exchange or ½ fruit exchange.
- Low sodium diets: omit salt from recipe.
- Also found that substitute to equal ½ cup sugar was not quite sweet enough for me - so adjust to your own taste.
- Original recipe did not call for chocolate extract but I find that it does help the flavor.