- Preheat the oven to 150C, 300F, Gas Mark 2.
- Make the caramel by placing the Sugar in a small saucepan together with the water .
- Allow the Sugar to dissolve over a low heat then bring to the boil.
- Continue to boil rapidly until it turns a medium golden brown colour then remove from the heat immediately.
- Pour the caramel into the base of an ovenproof dish, swirling around the bottom and slightly up the sides
- Place the remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the caramel lined dish, cover with aluminium foil then bake for about 1 ½ hours
- Allow to cool to room temperature then chill in the refrigerator before serving.