Crockpot Apple Crisp
The type of apples used in an apple crisp or pie can make or break the dessert. Use an all-purpose or cooking apple, such as Granny Smith, Fuji, Braeburn or other handpicked apples straight from a local orchard, if possible. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Source: Southern Living 2007 Sweet Endings
- Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 7 hr, 30 minutes
- Makes 6 servings
- 8 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (about 4 lbs)
- 1½ cups all-purpose baking mix, divided
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 5 tbsp butter, cut into pieces, divided
- vanilla ice cream
- Combine apples, ½ cup baking mix, ½ cup brown sugar, lemon juice and next 3 ingredients, tossing to coat.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter.
- Spoon into a lightly greased 5-qt slow cooker.
- Combine remaining 1 cup baking mix, and remaining ½ cup brown sugar, cut in remaining 2 tbsp.
- Butter with a pastry blender until crumbly.
- Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
- Cover and cook on low 7½ hours or until apples are tender and topping is golden.
- Serve with ice cream.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group