Crispy Fish Sandwich
This is the ultimate crispy fish sandwich: arugula, crispy fish with just a little heat, with homemade tartar sauce on a grilled ciabatta bun. Makes your mouth water just thinking about it, right?
- 4 fresh or frozen tilapia fillets, thawed if frozen
- 4 (3 inch) ciabatta buns, split in half
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbs cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 quarts peanut, canola, corn, safflower, or soybean oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small jalapeño, finely minced
- 1/4 dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 cup arugula lettuce
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 tbs freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Season fish with salt, pepper, garlic, and cayenne.
- Dredge fish in cornmeal and dip in lemon juice. Dredge again in cornmeal and let sit 2-3 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees. Working carefully, insert fish. Fry 2 at a time for three minutes. Drain on a cooling rack set in a sheet pan. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Brush cut sides of bun with olive oil. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place cut side down on a grill pan preheated over medium high heat. Cook until marked and toasted.
- Combine remaining ingredients except lettuce. Spread mixture liberally on cut side of grilled buns. Set aside.
- Place a piece of fish on top of half the buns. Top with arugula and then top with another half-bun. Serve warm.