Crisp Spiced Nuts
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes about 4½ cups.
- 2 large egg whites
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons paprika (preferably Hungarian sweet )
- 1½ teaspoons cayenne
- 1½ cups whole blanched almonds (about ½ pound)
- 1½ cups hazelnuts (about ½ pound)
- 1½ cups pecans (about ½ pound)
- ¾ Stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat whites with salt until very foamy and gradually beat in sugar, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and cayenne.
- Stir in nuts and butter, combining well, and spread in a large shallow baking pan.
- Bake Nuts in middle of oven, stirring every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Spread nuts on a sheet of foil and cool.
- Break up nut clusters.
- Nuts may be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Available at specialty foods shops and many supermarkets