Crepas de Pollo
Makes 16 to 18 crepes
- 1½ cups milk plus additional if needed for thinning
- 3 eggs
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2½ tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped canned green chilis
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups diced chicken, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 x 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup sour cream for garnish
- 1 diced avocado for garnish
- Combine milk, eggs, flour, salt and butter in blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Stir in (do not blend) the herbs, chilies and rice and let rest ½ hour.
- Test batter for thickness. Thin with additional milk if necessary, batter should make a thin crepe.
- Heat 8-inch skillet and brush with vegetable oil.
- Pour ¼ cup of well-stirred batter into pan.
- Tilt pan so batter covers bottom completely.
- Cook until golden brown on underside.
- Loosen edge, turn and cook until lightly brown on other side.
- Remove from pan, cool on wire rack; then stack, with a piece of wax paper between each crepe until ready for filling.
- Cook onion, green pepper and garlic in 2 tablespoons oil until tender but not brown in Dutch oven or large skillet.
- Remove vegetables. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and chicken to Dutch oven and sauté 5 to 10 minutes.
- Return vegetables to Dutch oven. Add spices, stirring to coat chicken.
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste and salt. Stir to blend. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- When ready to assemble crêpes, spoon 2 tablespoons rice and 2 tablespoons chicken mixture across center of each crêpe.
- Overlap the two opposite sides over filling.
- Place crepe seam side down in greased shallow baking dish and repeat with remaining crepes.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake 15 to 20 minutes in preheated 350 °F oven or until heated thoroughly.
- To serve, top each crepe with dollop of sour cream and diced avocado. Makes 8 servings.