Creole Chicken and Zucchini
Makes 4 servings
- vegetable cooking spray
- 4 chicken quarters
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 x 16-ounce cans stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound zucchini, chopped (about 3 medium)
- ¼ cup sherry wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add chicken.
- Cook about 10 minutes or until brown, turning occasionally.
- Remove chicken from pan; spoon off fat.
- Add onion and green pepper to pan; cook 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and juice, zucchini, sherry, bay leaf, celery salt, black pepper, curry and basil.
- Arrange chicken over tomato mixture; cover and simmer over medium-low heat 30 minutes or until fork can be inserted into chicken with ease and juices run clear, not pink.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Serve over hot rice.