Cold Noodles with Tempeh
- tempeh croutons:
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce or tamari
- 8-oz. pkg. tempeh
- chili powder
- 8 oz. soba or udon noodles or linguine
- 1/3 cup natural-style or reduced-fat Peanut butter
- 2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbs. light brown sugar or sucanat
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce or tamari
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 8 oz. fresh mung bean sprouts
- 3 scallions (white and pale green parts), thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 to 3 Tbs. finely chopped peanuts, optional
1. Make croutons: In large skillet, heat oil and 1 Tbs. soy sauce over medium heat. Break tempeh into cubes and add to skillet. Cook, stirring often, until nicely browned and crisp. Sprinkle lightly with chili powder and remove pan from heat.
2. Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add noodles, stirring to prevent sticking. Cook according to package directions, until al dente.
4. Drain noodles, rinse under cold running water and drain again. In large serving bowl, combine noodles, bean sprouts, tempeh, scallions, cilantro and peanuts if using. Whisk dressing and pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve at room temperature.