Chorizo and Kale Soup
- 1 lb fresh Argentinian style hot chorizo
- 3/4 lb fresh kale, washed, picked, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 quarts good-quality boxed beef stock
- 2 largish leeks white and light green parts, halved, washed, sliced thin
- maybe 1/2 cup of red lentils, washed and soaked 1/2 hour in cold water
- 2 small leftover baked potatoes preferably yukons, cut to 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground cumin
- 2 stalks parsley
- 1 stalk marjoram
- 1 fresh bay leaf
Heat olive oil to a shimmer in a large heavy pot over medium high heat. Lightly prick the casings of the chorizo with the tip of a paring knife to keep them from 'sploding. Saute chorizo whole until lightly browned all over, 8 min or so. Remove to plate.
Add leek to pot and saute 4-5 min, until a little soft. Add garlic and saute another 2 min. Add spices and saute another min. Don't burn anything, dumbass.
Add drained lentils, stir. Add kale and boquet garni and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. Slice chorizo into chunks on a bias. Simmer soup 10 min, add chorizo and juices from resting plate. Simmer 10 min. Add potato chunks. Simmer 10 min. Remove boquet garni.
Serve with crusty bread and have seconds ready if you value your life.