Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
- Makes about 2 dozen cookies
- Beat butter, sugar, egg yolk, milk and vanilla in medium bowl until light and fluffy.
- Stir together flour, Hershey's cocoa and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
- Refrigerate dough at least 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- With fork, beat egg white slightly.
- Dip each ball into egg white; roll in nuts.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Press thumb gently in center of each cookie.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set.
- Meanwhile, prepare vanilla filling.
- Remove wrappers from Hershey's Kisses chocolates.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool 5 minutes.
- Spoon about ¼ teaspoon filling into each thumbprint.
- Gently press Hershey's Kisses chocolate in center of each cookie.
- Cool completely.
- Roll balls in granulated sugar.
- Bake as directed.
- Top with |vanilla filling and chocolate, pecan or cherry half.
- Combine powdered sugar, softened butter or margarine, milk and vanilla extract in small bowl.
- Beat until smooth.
- Omit egg white and chopped nuts.