Chocolate Raspberry Torte
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Grease and flour two 8 or 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together flour, 1/2 cup Sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy; gradually add 1/4 cup Sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Beat 1 cup whipping cream in small bowl until stiff; fold into beaten egg whites.
- Combine egg yolks, remaining 1/4 cup Sugar and almond extract in clean small bowl; beat on medium speed of mixer 3 minutes until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gently fold into whipped cream mixture.
- Gradually fold flour mixture into whipped cream mixture just until ingredients are blended (mixture will be thick).
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans; smooth surface.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Cool 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- Prepare chocolate FILLING & FROSTING.
- Split each cake layer in half horizontally.
- Place one layer on serving plate; spread with 2/3 cup chocolate FILLING.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon almonds; repeat with two more layers.
- Top with last layer; spread with raspberry preserves.
- Frost sides of cake with remaining filling.
- Garnish top edge with whipped cream, if desired.
- Sprinkle edge and center with remaining almonds; refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover torte.
chocolate FILLING & FROSTING
- Stir together 2/3 cup Sugar and 1/3 cup HERSHEY'S cocoa in medium bowl.
- Add 1-1/2 cups cold whipping cream and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract; beat until stiff.
- About 3 cups filling and frosting.