Chocolate Cream Passover Torte
About 12 servings.
- ⅓ cup Hershey's cocoa
- 1 tbsp Hershey's cocoa, (divided)
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 eggs, separated
- ⅔ cup sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup blanched toasted almonds (finely ground)
Cocoa whipped cream
- Heat oven to 350 °F.
- Line bottom of 15-½ x 10-½ x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with parchment paper or line with foil (extending slightly over sides; grease foil).
- In small bowl, stir together ⅓ cup cocoa and water until mixture is smooth.
- Stir in butter and vanilla; cool.
- In large bowl, combine egg yolks and ½ cup sugar; beat on medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate mixture and almonds, beating until well blended.
- In another large bowl, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold ¼ egg white mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Add remaining egg whites, folding well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center.
- Dust cake with 1 tablespoon cocoa; cover with clean dry towel.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Cut cake into 4 equal pieces.
- Remove paper or foil before placing on serving plate.
- Prepare cocoa whipped cream; reserve 1-¼ to 1-½ cups to frost sides and ends of cake.
- Place one layer on plate; spread with cocoa whipped cream.
- Repeat layering, ending with whipped cream.
- Spread reserved whipped cream on all sides of assembled cake.
- Garnish as desired.
- Refrigerate until serving time.
- Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.
Cocoa whipped cream
- In large cold bowl, combine 1-½ cups cold whipping cream, ⅓ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons Hershey's cocoa and ¾ tablespoon vanilla extract; beat with cold beaters until stiff.
- About 3 cups whipped cream.
- Spread ⅓ cup blanched slivered almonds in thin layer in shallow baking pan.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until light golden brown.