Chinese New Year Sweet Rice
This is a traditional Chinese sweet rice recipe that is usually served for the Chinese New Year. This recipe was handed down to me from my dad who liked to eat this alone as a main dish, so it's a little heartier than most other sweet rice recipes. For those of you who know what Chinese sweet rice is, this is the most awesome tasting recipe yet!
- Original recipe yield: 8 servings.
- 3 cups uncooked jasmine rice
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine
- 3 links lop chong (Chinese-style sausage)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound fresh shrimp - peeled, deveined, and diced
- ¼ pound cooked pork link sausage, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 cup water chestnuts diced
- 1½ cups frozen green peas
- Add rice to water and allow to sit for 1 hour.
- Steam rice for 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to hot water for 30 minutes, slice mushrooms thinly
- Add oyster sauce, cornstarch , salt , sugar, red wine, and soy sauce.
- Allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Steam mushrooms and sausages 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook for 2 – 3 minutes in boiling oil.
- Add onions pork , and chestnuts, cook for another 3 minutes.