Chile Mango Beef Stew
- Saute onions and garlic in heavy skillet with 1 tbsp.
- olive oil.
- Transfer to heavy cooking pot or crock pot.
- Sprinkle salt, black pepper, and chile powder on beef stew meat.
- Brown beef in the skillet with olive oil and transfer to the cooking pot.
- Add potatoes and carrots to cooking pot.
- Sprinkle with oregano.
- For the sauce combine the chicken stock, diced mangos, tomatoes, lime juice and raisins in skillet.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Wash then toast dried chiles by removing stems and seeds and placing on a cooking sheet with cumin seed in a 250 °F oven for a few minutes until the chiles are softened and aromatic.
- Do not burn chiles.
- Add to skillet containing boiled sauce ingredients, cover and allow to sit 20 – 30 minutes until chiles are soft.
- Transfer chiles and some of the liquid to blender.
- Blend starting on low and gradually increase speed.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and reblend thoroughly.
- Pour over meat and vegetables in cooking pot, bring to low boil then reduce heat and simmer until everything is tender.
- Several hours to all day.
- Serve with flour tortillas or sourdough bread.