Chicken with Yellow Rice
Makes 6 servings
- 1 broiler fryer (about 2½ pounds) cut into serving pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 x 14½- to 16-ounce can tomatoes (drain, chop, and reserve juice)
- 1½ cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 small bay leaf
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Cook in oil until golden brown. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of drippings. Push chicken to one side.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until tender.
- Stir in tomato juice and ½ cup broth. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add rice, remaining 1 cup broth, tomatoes, bay leaf, salt, cumin, turmeric and green pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes longer or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove bay leaf and fluff rice lightly.