- 2 onions chopped
- 4 tbsp shortening, corn oil or lard
- 3 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- ⅛ tsp black pepper or whole peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 to 5 lbs chicken disjointed, use legs, thighs, breast and back for best flavor
- 1½ cups water
- ½ pt. sour cream
- Brown onions in shortening.
- Add seasonings and chicken, brown 10 minutes.
- Add water, cover and let simmer slowly until it is tender.
- Remove chicken, add sour cream to drippings in pan and mix well.
- To thicken gravy, mix into a paste 1 tbsp soft butter with 1 tbsp of flour and stir into drippings.
- Add dumplings and arrange chicken on top.
- Heat through, but do not boil, and serve.