Chicken Livers aux Herbes
Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound chicken livers, halved
- 6 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup sherry or other dry white wine
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon thyme leaves, crushed
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Dredge livers in ¼ cup flour seasoned with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Cook livers and onion in oil in large skillet about 10 minutes.
- Add Mushrooms, green pepper, broth, sherry, coriander, nutmeg, thyme, black pepper and remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- Combine remaining 2 tablespoons flour with water; stir into mixture. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until livers are cooked and sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add almonds and parsley.
- Serve over beds of fluffy rice.