Chicken Garden Orzo
Chicken Garden Risotto from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 6
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1¾ cups (12 ounces) uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups broccoli flowerets, cut into bite-size pieces [or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen broccoli, thawed]
- 2 cans (14½ ounces each) reduced sodium chicken stock or broth
- 2 ears fresh corn, kernels cut from cobs [or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed]
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse chicken. Pat dry. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat oil in 12-inch skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add orzo, broccoli and broth. Reduce heat to medium. Cover skillet. Cook 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken. Cook 6 minutes.
- Mix in corn and pepper. Cook 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Stir in cheese gently. Serve hot.