Chicken, Fennel and Mushroom Soup
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 2 Servings
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup cream sherry
- 1½ cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup half-and-half cream
- 1½ cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken soup base
- Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Brown chicken on both sides then reduce heat to medium.
- Add lemon pepper, fennel and cream sherry.
- Simmer until chicken is cooked through but not dry.
- When chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside to cool.
- While chicken is cooling, add mushrooms, red pepper, parsley, buttermilk, half and half, water and chicken soup base; stir.
- Tear chicken into bite sized pieces and return them to the soup.
- Heat until warmed through but do not boil, mushrooms and peppers should still be firm.
- Calories 221 | Fat 9.5 g | Carbs 13.4 g | Sodium 769 Mg | Fiber 2.9g