||approx 5 days
Chhundo is a sweet and spicy condiment or pickle eaten in the western state of India called Gujarat with roti and Sabzi.
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 25 gms salt
- 1 kg mangoes (raw and deseeded)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 600 gms sugar
- Peel and grate the mangoes into fine juliennes.
- Combine the grated mangos with rest of the ingredients evenly.
- Spread the mixture in a shallow wide mouthed jar and cover with a thin cloth.
- Keep the mixture in the sun for 5 days till the syrup attains a single thread consistency, stirring thrice daily.
Notes and variations
- This is the basic recipe. To make a spicier variation, add red chili powder with the other ingredients while mixing.
- It can be preserved in glass bottles at room temperature.