Cherry Pie I
Cherry pie is both sweet and tart and is another favorite summer pie. Be sure to use "pie cherries" also known as sour cherries to bake the best tasting cherry pie. Pie cherries are usually sold canned, packed in water, in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
- double pie crust for an 8-inch pie
- 16 ounces pitted red sour cherries, water pack, do not drain
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- few drops of red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Prepare double pie crust for an 8-inch pie.
- Mix together cherries, cornstarch, almond extract and red food coloring.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Dot with butter or margarine.
- Top with pie crust.
- Crimp and seal.
- Cut slits in top of pie crust.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes or until light brown.
- The pie filling will be bubbling through the slits when the pie is done baking.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place the pie plate on top of it to prevent pie filling from spilling onto oven floor.
Things You'll Need
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- 8-inch pie plate
- Mixing spoon
Sources and Citations
- Family Fare: A Guide to Good Nutrition, #1, USDA