Here is a family-style dish to be served any time of year. It is a substantial soup stew, well seasoned in Afghan style and combined with a crispy-bottomed rice provides contrasting texture to stew. The stew and rice are served separately. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- Yield: 6 servings
- 5 cups water
- 4 chicken legs and 4 chicken thighs, loose skin - discarded
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked in - water overnight and drained
- 2 medium (1 cup) onions, chopped
- 1 rib celery with leaves, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
- 1 (½ lb) zucchini, sliced
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp ground cumin seed
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups raw rice, well rinsed
- ¼ cup corn oil
- Bring water to a boil, add chicken pieces, and remove foam as it cooks.
- Add chick-peas, onions, celery, carrots, zucchini, salt, pepper, and cumin seed.
- Cover pan and cook over moderate heat for 45 minutes.
- Add coriander, dill, and lemon juice and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes more.
- This is sufficient to tenderized chicken and ingrate all seasonings.
- Bring 4 cups water and salt to a boil in pan.
- Add rice and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Drain rice in colander and rinse with cold water.
- Return rice to pan and pour oil over all.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat for ½ hour.
- No other water is added and rice cooks only moisture clings to it after rinsing. The rice will develop a crisp bottom layer.
- Serve rice and stew separately.
- Each diner takes their own portion of rice and covers it with as much stew as they wish.
- Serve warm.
- 2 lb of boneless beef chuck cut into 6 equal pieces may be used in place of chicken, but cooking will take longer.
- Cook beef stew over moderate heat for 1 hour.
- Add coriander, dill, and lemon juice, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, ½ hour more, or until beef is tender.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group