Chef Bayo's Tanzanian Green Tomato Chutney
Chef Bayo's Tanzanian green tomato chutney
- 12 oz green tomatoes or tomatillos, cored and cut into ½ inch dice
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into ½ inch dice
- 2 large green (under-ripe) papayas (about 12 oz each), peeled, seeded, and cut into ½ inch dice
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Place the green tomatoes, onions, and papayas in a large heavy pot.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, salt, and spices.
- Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, and simmer uncovered until the mixture is thick, about 1 hour.
- Add peppers at the end.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate covered until ready to use.
- The chutney will thicken slightly as it chills.
- If you prefer a less liquidy chutney, drain a bit off.