Central African Tomato Sauce
- a few spoonfuls of oil for frying (palm oil is most authentic)
- two onions, finely chopped
- one small can of tomato paste
- two or three tomatoes, chopped and mashed
- bay leaf
- grated nutmeg (to taste)
- salt, black pepper, red or cayenne pepper (to taste)
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Fry onions for a few minutes.
- Stir in all other ingredients.
- Add water as necessary to make a smooth sauce.
- Season to taste.
- Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat, simmer for ten minutes.
- Serve with grilled or roasted Chicken, , or meat, or boiled cassava (manioc) tubers, plantains or yams.