Carne Adobada I
- Original recipe
- Yields 6 servings (3 ounces each)
- 5 roasted chile pods
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ pounds lean pork steaks
- Toast the chiles in an oven at 200°F for 5 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently so they do not burn. Remove the seeds and stems.
- Put the chiles and water into a medium pan. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the chiles with some of the cooking water into a blender. Puree and then strain. Discard the peels and seeds.
- Add the remaining cooking water to strained chile along with garlic, oregano and salt.
- Place pork steaks either whole or cut into chunks in glass baking dish. Top with the chile. Cover and refrigerate for 8-24 hours.
- Roast in 350°F oven for 40-60 minutes or pan fry in nonstick skillet on top of the stove. (check if done by using a digital instant read thermometer. Temperature should be at least 160°F).
- Calories 180 | Calories from Fat 80 | Total Fat 9 g | Cholesterol 65 mg | Sodium 170 mg | Carbohydrate 3 g | Dietary Fiber 0 g | Protein 20 g
- Exchanges: 3 lean meat | 1 vegetable
- Carbohydrate Units: 0
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/