Cardamom Coffee Cakes
Yield: 2 coffee cakes
- 1½ cup milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 3 each egg yolks
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 pack cake yeast
- 6¼ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- ¼ tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp cardamom
- 2 tbsp milk
- Scald milk and cool to lukewarm.
- Crumble yeast into bowl, add 1 tsp sugar and lukewarm milk.
- Beat in 3 cups flour; beat until smooth.
- Cover well and let rise until light and double in bulk, 1 - 1½ hours.
- Add soft butter, remaining sugar, salt, egg yolks, cardamom and 3 cups flour.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place remaining ¼ cup flour on board or pastry cloth for kneading.
- Turn out dough and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Place in greased bowl. Cover well.
- Set aside to rise until double in bulk, 1 to 1½ hours.
- Cut risen dough in half for two coffee cakes (braids).
- Cut each half into 3 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a roll 16 inches long.
- Pinch 3 rolls together at one end, braid and pinch other ends together.
- Place braid on cookie sheet.
- Make second braid and place on cookie sheet.
- Let braids rise until double in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- For topping brush each braid with 1 tbsp milk and sprinkle with 3 tbsp sugar.
- Bake in moderate oven (375°F) 25 to 30 minutes.