Cantonese Chicken with Rice
Makes 6 servings.
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 whole chicken breasts (about 1 pound), skinned, boned, and cut into thin strips
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery, cut ¼ inch thick
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 x 6-ounce package frozen (or 2 cups fresh) snow peas
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, pepper and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Pour over chicken and let stand 10 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms; reserve liquid, and add enough water to make ½ cup.
- Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch, sugar and salt.
- Cook chicken in remaining 1 tablespoon oil about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Do not let chicken brown.
- Add celery, onion, snow peas and mushrooms. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Stir in reserved liquid; heat about 1 minute until sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve over fluffy rice.